Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Music is so important.

You probably already know this, but music matters.

It doesn't matter a little; it matters a lot.  It sets a tone.  I helps us work out our own feelings and experiences.  It can lift us up, express the bigness of love, or be cathartic.

When I was a teenager struggling with depression, heavy metal saved my life.  I heard Metallica's Black Album, and I thought, "These guys are really angry!  I'm on board!" 

Then I tried listening to Cradle of Filth's Midian because the guy at Twist & Shout record store recommended it to me.  I learned what symphonic black metal was that day, and it was a brand new experience.  Did I love it immediately?  Yes.  The vocals were a little weird, but how can you beat that level of ambience.  Listening to this type of music is a way of experiencing darkness that is harmless in the end.

I went to a metal show the other night.  I saw Shinedown and Five Finger Death Punch.  I was sitting in the rafters by myself, but I still had such a good time. 

Shinedown was super fun.  I am not a fan of their music in any particular way.  I know a few of their songs.  However, they made it special for the people there.  The lead singer was running out in the audience and jumping up on a platform behind the sound board, and I'm astounded.  "Naw, he didn't just do that.  Oh, shoot!  He did!"  The band brought a ton of energy to the stage even though they were clad in dress shirts and vests.  "I want to be classy, but I also want to rock."  Seeing them play was an unexpected treat.

Then came Five Finger Death Punch.  I simply love this band.  They are my favorite metal band right now.  Their songwriting chops are unquestionable, and they have something to say.  Their messages are not always happy or what you want to hear; however, they are the truth.  The truth from the band's point of view, and they have a perspective that I appreciate.

They understand that life is not easy.  We all struggle.  A major part of living is getting damaged and moving through it.  In life we struggle with difficult feelings, and there are times when things just aren't going to be right. 

I love that they support our military the way they do.  Their video for "Wrong Side of Heaven" highlights the plight of our homeless military veterans.  Who does that?  Oh... wait... they did.  Because they get it.  They get that heroes should not live on the streets, but they are struggling with such hard emotions after being in a war situation.  We need to give these people all the support and compassion we can... they fought for your life and freedoms.  FFDP gets that.  During the concert they asked for current service members to raise their hands.  A healthy contingent of the audience had their hands up.

I cannot really express what seeing this show meant to me.  I knew my buddy, Darren Keddy, was teching for guitarist, Jason Hook, that night.  Jason had some crazy stupid guitars.  I can't give you every detail, but these guitars were nuts.  I have no idea how Darren keeps those things up and running.  Good job, brother! 

It was also very cool that their opening music was Prince.  Way to respect!

They played a lot of my favorite songs.  "Lift Me Up."  I was surprised that they played, "Wash It All Away" earlier in the show because I love that song soooooooo much.  But it worked because this band knows how to put on a show.  It helps that they are a bunch of cool-looking dudes, each with their own style and vibe.  I am deeply in love with all of them, but I respect them.  I won't be a creepy fan.  Respect is one of my top four values.

Jeremy Spencer had a drum solo.  Holy shit!  Who does that any more?  FFDP.  It was fairly epic.  And yes, he was in sparkly skeleton suit that night.  It made me so happy.

Let's talk about the band members just for fun.  Ivan was looking like a badass in camo pants and a tank top.  He was making moves all night but in a mature way... he didn't feel like he had to run all over the place to entertain people, and the rest of the band was the same way.  Jason Hook hung out on the left side of the stage most of the night. 

He looked cool.  He was wearing a jersey, and his spiky, sticking-up hair is a signature.  He's a good-looking dude, and you would admit that even if you were a dude.  Zoltan looked awesome as well.  He was in a jersey-type shirt as well, and he's got these amazing, long dreadlocks that look awesome.  Chris Kael - I dunno what this bro was wearing - jeans and a t-shirt?  All I could focus on was his awesome dreaded out beard.  That thing is a story in and of itself!

The band brought so much energy to the stage.  Ivan mentioned that they loved playing in Denver.  Cheers to Willie B.  All that good stuff.  They even brought some kids on the stage for a song.  I thought that was a really great move.  "Hey, kids.  Welcome to the metal family.  Stick with us, and we will help you.  Oh, yeah.  Be safe."  It was a special moment.

But, damn, the whole concert was a special moment.  I was singing along to every song and dancing in my spot.  I loved everything about the show from the lights, to the vibe, to... gosh, it was just the best birthday present I ever gave myself.  I can't wait for the next FFDP show.

So, music... yeah... it will change your life.  One of my favorite songs right now is techno.  It is called "Tearing Me Up" by Bob Moses.  It reminds me of work.  (I work at a wonderful restaurant.)  And, I love work.  The people I work with are family.

Black Violin is another favorite.  A couple of black dudes from Florida who are classically trained string players.  They just want to create a new type of music, hip hop meets classical, and they are all about crushing stereotypes and bringing people together.  They are great.

Tell me about your music.  What does it do for you?  What do you love?  There are so many different types of music, and that is beautiful.  We need creative people to make new stuff for us to experience.

Thanks for bearing with my through this long post.  I just had a lot to share today.  Love you!

1 comment:

  1. \m/

    My favorite (which will not surprise you) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYsqYPWzfrM&ab_channel=MarceloOlivaresPerez

    ReplyDelete